Steven Smith Biography – Age|Records|Career|
Steven Smith is right handed Australian cricket batsmen and who is
always up to save Australian side irrespective of any situation,be it T20,
Test or an ODI,he has always been the savior for them.Apart from
his performances,he has been part of the most famous controversy #Sandpaper.But do you know the biography of Steven Smith,his age,
his records.Let us know here :-
Born and Study of Steven Smith :-
- Steven Smith complete name is Steven Peter Devereux Smith and
is an Australian right handed batsmen
- He was born in 2nd June 1989 (30 years) Kogarah,Sydney.
- His father is an Australian while his mother is English.
- Since cricket was his priority,he left his school Menai High School
at age of 17 and joined Sevenoaks Vine in England where he had played in the premier division of Kent Cricket League.
- Due to his performance,he was picked to play for Surreys’s second
Domestic Career of Steve Smith :-
- In 2008 under-19 cricket world cup in Malaysia,Steven was a
part of Australian team and he went on to scored 114 runs with
4 wickets in 7 matches.
- He has debuted his first-class debut for New South Wales against Western Australia at SCG on 25th Jan.2008.Although he couldn’t impress much as he scored only 33 runs against Western
Australia however New South Wales won the match.
- Steven Smith has also been the part of the New South Wales
team which won the 2009 T20 Champions League.He impressed
in the final against Trinidad and Tobago at Hyderabad with his
2 wickets and 33 runs.
- Till the domestic season ended of 2009-10 Smith has already had
an average of 50 after 13 first class matches.However his bowling
only got improved after he got mentored by Shane Warne.
Steven Smith :- Journey of Big Bash League and IPL
- Smith became part of New South Wales T20 Big Bash League on
1st Jan.2008.He proved his worth by becoming the leading wicket taker in 2008 Big Bash Tournament.He finished the season with
his 15/4 against Queensland with 9 wicket.
- In 2011-2012 the tournament became city based competition
where Smith became part of Sydney Sixers and he was appointed
as a captain and with his impeccable captaincy he led the team to winning the cup and also scored 166 runs having strike rate of
130.71 with 6 wickets in the season.
- His good form attracted the IPL’s Pune Warrior India
team captain Saurav Ganguly which later recruited him for the
IPL season in 2012.
- Steven Smith had bought by Kochi Tuskers $2,00,000 in 2011
but due to some issue with his ankle,he couldn’t be part of and
didn’t play any match in the season.Since Kochi Tuskers was
dropped from IPL,he was later bought by Pune Warriors as a replacement of Mitchell Marsh,in his first match he scored 39
off 32 balls and led his team to victory against Mumbai Indians.
- In 2014 he had bought by Rajasthan Royals for $6,00,000 and he
led them to play-offs under his captains,In 2016 he was bought in
same price by Rising Pune SuperGiants but couldn’t make a big
impact in the season.But he soon overcome the drought of his
runs against Gujarat Lions scoring his maiden century 101 off
54 balls but it was unfortunate he couldn’t complete the season
due to wrist Injury.
- 2017 IPL Season when MS Dhoni was out from the captaincy,
Steven Smith was handed over the command and he made sure
Rising Pune SuperGiants made to the playoffs,he also got the likes
of senior played like Sunil Gavaskar and Kevin Peterson for his captaincy and his batting where he scored 472 runs being the
highest run scorer from RPS with the average of 39.33 which
included three fifties.
- In 2018 he was named again the captain of Rajasthan Royals but
due to the famous saga of #SandpaperGate he and Warned was removed from the IPL and their contact were also terminated
- 2019 was the year when Steven Smith made a return after a ban
of 1 year and he got the captaincy after half of tournament was o
ver and he scored 319 with the average of 39.87.
Debut as an International Career :- Steven Smith
- It was Feb 2010 when Steven Smith first got the chance to debut
for Australia against Pakistan in Melbourne and just in some days
he debuted for the ODI against West Indies.
- During the ICC World T20 happened in West Indies,Smith took
11 wickets where Australia finished as a runner up.
- In test Steven Smith debuted against Pakistan at Lords in July
2010 and he took 3 wickets in the second innings of that match.Initially Smith was selected as a primary bowler but
due to his stupendous batting performances he promoted later
and became the back bone of Australian line up.
A Glance at his records in 2013-2015 year :-
- Steven Smith toured India with Australian team in 2013,at that
time he was averaging around 37 although not the best but a
decent one,he became the first of third Test against India as
some few of players in the team didn’t perform well and
capitalized the opportunity and went on scoring 92 in his 1st
innings before getting stumped by MS Dhoni and 5 in his 2nd Innings,although the series was won by India by 4-0 but
Smith managed to impact by his inning which got him a place
in 2013 Ashes against England.
- In 2013 Ashes series although England retained the urn but
Smith’s performance was impactful scoring 345 runs with an
average of 83.33 in 5 match series out of which in 2 matches he
scored half centuries and In 3rd Test he scored a maiden half
century in his 1st inning.
- In 2014 Ashes Steven Smith was selected for the series and in 3rd test of the series he scored the first test century on his home soil,on fourth test he couldn’t do well scoring 19 runs but again in final match he scored a test century,scoring overall a total of 327 runs with an average of 36.
- Later after 2014 Ashes,Australia toured England where Smith scored his first test century in South Africa which Australia won by 2-1.
Continuing Success in 2014-2015 and World Cup :-
- While playing home series against Australia,Smith had a
wonderful performance,scoring figures of 10,73,104 and 67
runs in last 4 ODI,despite of missing the 1st ODI as selectors
had showed more faith in Shane Watson and Australia went
on winning series by 4-1.
- When India made tour to India just before the World Cup in
2014-2015 Smith showed his form of his life,scoring 769 run
with an average of 128.16 and made an higher aggregate score
in four-match test series which included 4 centuries and one half century.
- 2015 World Cup was the time when Smith played a crucial role
for Australia which we saw three half centuries against Pakistan,Srilanka and Afghanistan and an important century
against India in the Semis which led Australia into the final.In the
final match aswell he scored 58 runs not out taking Australia
winning the World Cup Title and became the highest run scorer
from Australia with 402 runs including 4 fifties and 1 hundred.
- After the World Cup,Australia toured West Indies and England
where Steven Smith didn’t perform well in first test but in second
test he hit 199 runs and became 8th batsmen to have out in 199 runs.This performance not only been rewarded as man of the match,he was also reached in no.1 ranking becoming the second youngest and eight Australian to do so.
- Later against England in Ashes,reached a new heights by scoring
more than 3000 runs and also became the 3rd youngest player
to do so which also includes his a knock of 215 runs however England won the series with 3-2.
Captaining Australia between 2015 to 2018 :-
2015 was the year when Steven Smith was handed over the captaincy as Michael Clarke hung his with a disappointed loss from England in Ashes,appointing Smith as a full time Captain and David Warner as Vice-Captain.
Sandpaper Saga :-
- Smith was making a comeback after having rested for New
Zealand series,for the preparation of Test against South Africa.
The whole series was a controversial Series which first included Warner and DeCock after the former was restrained physically
and words were spoken out.Although Australia won the match
by 118 runs and Smith scored 56 and 38 runs respectively.Another issue happened in second test when Rabada made a physical
contact with Smith after dismissing him resulting a ban for
Rabada but South Africa winning the match with 6 wickets.
- In the 3rd test in which Australia were beaten badly by 322 runs,
but more than the result what interesting was the tempering with
the ball on 3rd day by the second youngest inexperienced player Cameron Bancroft which was caught on camera as he was seen
using sandpaper to rough up the ball and later hiding the same in
his underwear which later Smith admitted in the press conference after the match.After that Steven Smith and David Warner was removed as Captain and Vice-Captain and Tim Paine was handed interim captaincy.
- After the Cricket Australia completed their investigation.Steven
Smith and David Warner along with Bancroft found to have
guilty and was handed over the ban of 1 year which also
resulting the end of his contact with Rajasthan Royals.
The Return of the “Champion” :-
Coming into International Cricket after facing a ban of a year in
World Cup,He was given the contract of 2019-2020 season by Cricket Australia.Steven Smith scored 379 runs with an average of 37.90
including four fifties.
Ruling Ashes Like a “Boss” :-
- In 2019 Ashes series he became the part of Australia squad,playing first test after the ban,he scored 9th and 10th century in Ashes
overall 24th and 25th.In first innings of second test he scored
80 runs before he got out on his neck an was out on 92 later
when he came to bat again.Due to his injury he got ruled out
of third test.
- On his return after injury in 4th Test he scored a double century
at Old Trafford scoring his third double century and also became
the first man to score 500 or more in three consecutive Ashes series.
- Scoring fifty in last Test in 1st innings,he accumulated a score of
774 runs in the series.
Personal Life and Networth :-
Steve Smith is married to Danielle Willis on 15th September 2018 and
his networth is said to be #9 Million (AUD)
Likes and Hobbies :-
•Australian batsmen Ricky Ponting is favorite batsmen and favorite bower is Shane Warne.
• Favorite movie is Home alone 2 and Lost in New York.
•His favorite musicians are Florence+The Machine,La Roux,The Killers and Little Birdy
•Likes to have Chicken Schnitzel.
•His favorite hotel is Clovelly Hotel in Sydney.
ODI Record :- 118 matches 104 innings he has scored 3810 runs with 8 hundreds,23 fifties at an average of 41.41 with highest score being164 .
T20I Record :- In 36 matches 28 innings he has scored 3810 runs with 1 hundred,8fifties at an average of 37.44 with highest score 101.
Steven Smith Achievements (the main ones) :-
• He is the first Australian Captain to open the captaincy with three consecutive hundreds.
• In 2014-2015 Border-Gavaskar Trophy he scored 769 runs which is highest by an Individual against India.
• He is the second youngest player of Australia to have scored more than 3000 runs.