Saina Nehwal Biography -Age|Born|Career|Facts
Saina Nehwal is Indian Badminton Player ,she is someone who dared to dream and chased her dreams to make it true.She has won many recognition and made her parents proud but do you know the biography of Saina Nehwal,records and rankings.Lets know here :-
Saina Nehwal was born in Hisar in 17 March 1990 (28 years) and she is the daughter of Harvir Singh Nehwal and Usha Rani Nehwal and her father has PHD in agricultural science who used to work at Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University.She also has an elder sister name called Chandranshu Nehwal.Initially she completed few years of schooling at Campus School CCS HAU in Hisar and later moved to hyderabad to complete her study from St.Ann’s College for Women.
One of the biggest reason that Saina Nehwal decided to take up the badminton at the age of just 8 years after moving Hyderabad was to express herself as she was unaware of the local language and that somewhere makes her uncomfortable in socializing with other kids.Its interesting to know that her parents has been in badminton quite a good number of years.Her father Usha Rani was a state level badminton player in Haryana.Neha following the footsteps of her mother,took the badminton field in the way of becoming a national badminton player while her elder sister is a volleyball player.You would also be surprised to know that Saina posses a brown belt in Karate too.
The start of Journey :- Saina Nehwal
Saina Nehwal started her badminton journey under the guidance of S.M. Arif, who was a Dronacharya Awardee.It was Saina’s keen interest towards badminton that her family supported her throughout her journey.It was around 2006 when Saina became the first player to win the prestigious Asian Satellite Badminton tournament in under-19.Although her career started in the year 2003 in Junior Czech open where she went on to win the tournament.She just didn’t stop here at the age of 16 in 2006 only she became the first indian woman and youngest player to have won 4 star tournament -the Philliphpine Open from Asia.She managed to surprise many faces in that tournament along with the number 4 seeded player Xu Huaiwen before defeating Julia Wong Pei Xian of Malaysia.
|Saina Image while playing Badminton|
In 2008 she made her mark when she defeated 9th seeded Japanese player Sayaka Sato by 21-9,21-18 and became the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships.In the same year during Olympics she became the first Indian women to reach the quarter finals when she defeated the world number fourth and fifth seed Wang Chen of Hong-Kong.Although she lost to world number 16 seed Maria Kristin in a nail biting gamer.
In 2009 she won the most prestigious series and became the first Indian women to do so i.e.BWF super Series title.She beat Wang Lin from China origin in the final 12-21 ,21-18,21-9.
From Peak to Low :-
During the year 2010 Saina Nehwal’s led women’s team managed to reach in quarter final stage of the Uber cup finals and also became the first Indian women to reach the semis of 2010 England Super series before losing to the champion Tine Rasmussen.Neha seeded no.1 in the Singapore Open after defeating world champion Lu Lan of China.Saina reached a career high world ranking of No. 2 only behind Wang Yihan of China on 15 July 2010.Ranked 2nd Nehwal, a tournament favorite got out of the tournament when she lost to Chinese Wang Shixian in straight sets 8–21, 14–21.
|Saina Image after winning the medal|
Consecutively missing two championship 2010 China Master Super Series and 2010 Japan Super Series seen a drop in ranking from no.1 to no.7 in September 2010.
The stats of Saina has always been satisfying and proof shows the same :-
Hobbies and likes :-
Saina is a dog lover,while she was not in badminton court,she likes to relax and pursue her mind in Karate which acts as disciplining the mind and body for her.She loves listening to music while reading books.
She is a huge fan of Bollywood King khan (Shahrukh Khan) and has managed to meet her once.Her favorite athelete is Sachin Tendulkar in Cricket and Roger Federer in Tennis
She loves to try different foods as she is quite a foodies has experienced different varities of food all around the world but she always loved the Indian food more than anything.
Achievements (The mains) :-
- In 2009 she received Arjuna reward
- In 2009-10 received Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
- In 2010 received Padma Shri.
- In 2011 she won the Swiss Open tournament in Basel
- In 2012 she won Indonesia super series in Jakarta
- In 2012 she won bronze medal in London Olympics Women’s Singles
|Saina Nehwal Image Receiving Award from Narendra Modi|
- In 2014 she won Bronze medal at Asian games
- In 2014 she won China Super Series Premier
- In 2014 she won Australia Badminton Open Super Series
- In 2015 she won India super series at New Delhi
- In 2015 she won Silver Medal at World Championship in Jakarta
- In 2016 she won Australia Badminton Open Super Series in Sydney
- In 2017 she won Malaysia Masters Tournament
- In 2017 she won Bronze Medal at World Badminton Championship in Glasgow
- In 2018 she won Gold Medal at Commonwealth Games in Women’s Singles
- In 2018 she won Bronze Medal at Asian Badminton Championship
Cash Prizes :-
After she won Bronze medal in 2012 London Olympics :-
- Haryana Goverment rewarded 1 crore rupees cash.
- Rajasthan Government rewarded 50 lakh rupees cash.
- Andhra Pradesh Government 50 lakh rupees cash.
- Badminton Association of India rewarded 10 lakh rupees cash.
Personal Life and marriage with Parupalli Kashyap :-
Saina got married to Parupalli Kashyap on 14th December 2018.
Some Interesting Facts about Saina Nehwal :-
- She has a autobiography with her name “Playing to Win :- My life On and Off Court”.
- She has also appeared on cover of some famous magazines like “Femina,Women’s Health” etc.
- She has also been part of various brands for endorsement like Edelweiss Group,Fortune Cooking Oil,Vaseline,Godrej,Huawei Honor Smartphone,Star Sports,Indian Overseas Bank,Yonex,Sahara Group,Herbalife Nutrition,Top Ramen Noodles etc.